About JDBC Drivers
JDBC drivers are files with the extension .jar used by Java applications to connect to the database.
Usually they are provided by the same company which implemented the Azure software.
DbSchema installation kit already include an Azure driver.
Each JDBC driver is using a specific URL. The URL is a string passed to the driver, formatted in a given way, including the
host, port and database where to connect.
Azure JDBC Driver
Azure is a cloud database.
About DbSchema Database Designer
DbSchema is a Azure database designer based on Java JDBC drivers.
DbSchema features interactive diagrams, schema management, schema compare and synchronize,
relational data browse, visual query builder, query editor, random data generator,
forms and reports and more.
DbSchema can be evaluated 15 days for free.
Download & Evaluate
Connect to Azure using DbSchema
Start DbSchema, choose 'Connect to database' and in the connection dialog choose 'Azure' from the database combo.
There you can upload the JDBC driver. For a limited list of databases the drivers are already included.
Next step is to fill in the connection dialog the database host, port, username and password.
- The host is the name or the IP address of the machine where the database is running.
If the database is running on the same machine as DbSchema, this will be localhost.
- The port is a number, a kind of 'door' where the database listen for requests.
This has a default value which DbSchema will set for you. If the database administrator choose a different port,
you may have to enter the correct value
- Database username is the user to login into the database. DbSchema may enter by default
the most user for each database. If this is not correct, check the database documentation for this. Usually during Azure installation
you are informed about the username.
- Database password for the database user, is set inside the database.
DbSchema will replace this values in the JDBC URL string, will send this to server and try to connect.
If you get problems connecting to database, please remember :
- Windows Firewall may block the communication. You may need to reconfigure or disable it.
- Remote connections are not always enabled by default.
MySql lets you, for example, to enable them during the database software installation.
- Make sure the host is reachable. From the connection dialog you can ping the database host ensure the configured port is reachable.
- Check the driver version is compatible with the database software. It may be that DbSchema provided JDBC driver is not the latest version.
Please inform us in this case.
Learn more about how to connect to database from the DbSchema help.