Maintain column order in synch

Tell us what features you'll want
rmayer

Maintain column order in synch

Post by rmayer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Hello,

Firstly, I'd just like to say that I think DBSchema is a great product. It does ALMOST exactly what I need it to...

I appreciate this this should not be necessary with modern code and for most of our solutions it is not, but in order to support some legacy modules, it would be GREAT if DbSchema could support the maintenance of table column order when adding new fields to a table... For example, if a table exists with fields w, x, z and I add a column into the source DB to make w, x, y, z... Currently, DbSchema would give w, x, z, y in the destination, whereas I would like to retain the order w, x, y, z.

I am currently manually synch'ing in such circumstances.

I have seen this feature in previous products I've used, but DbSchema does not seem to support it, yet is still head and shoulders over alternatives!

Keep up the good work.

Richard

gauravbansal7

Re: Maintain column order in synch

Post by gauravbansal7 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:59 am

This is something that would help a lot of us.

Any updates from DBSchema team regarding the same.

--
Gaurav Bansal

mmaayeh

Post by mmaayeh » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:39 am

I agree column order is important as you are redesigning tables and other structures; this can help in looking at your entities in the correct way without going back and forth between client tools. In MS SQL there is already meta data that indicates column order for tables and I believe other DBMS engines provide such meta data as well.

jsneeringer

Post by jsneeringer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:05 pm

This would help me as well. We use column order to indicate the clustered index and to group similar type of columns.

I agree the DbSchema is the best around at graphically representing databases.