Quick Tour Grammar

DbSchema Issues
alfreema

Quick Tour Grammar

Post by alfreema » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:57 pm

First off, I love DbSchema! Well done!

When you first install the app, you are presented with a Quick Tour. I noticed some issues with the grammar, so I took notes that you will hopefully find helpful. If you don't consider it a high priority I won't be offended if you completely ignore these recommendations.

DbSchema Quick Tour Grammar Edits

Slide 1
---
Current: This tour is introducing the DbSchema main features:
Fixed: This tour is to introduce DbSchema's main features:

Current: DbSchema is different from the other tools, please read this tour ! Press 'Next' to start.
Fixed: DbSchema is different from other tools, so please view this tour! Press 'Next' to start.

Slide 3
---
Current: The layouts will be saved to project file.
Better: The layouts will be saved to your project file.

Current: Press this icons to add the other foreign key table to the layout.
Fixed: Press these icons to add the other foreign key table to the layout.

Slide 4
---
Current: Create foreign keys by drag & drop of one column over the primary key column.
Better: To create foreign keys just drag & drop a column onto a primary key column.
-or-
Create foreign keys by dragging a column onto a primary key column.

Slide 5
---
Current: Foreign keys are crucial for a better database design.
Better: Foreign keys are crucial for good database design.

Current: If your schema miss foreign keys you can create in a similar way virtual foreign keys (not implemented in the database).
Fixed: If your schema is missing foreign keys, you can create virtual foreign keys (which are not implemented in the database).

Current: Virtual foreign keys are used in Relational Data Browse and Query Builder and will be saved to project file.
Better: Virtual foreign keys are used in Relational Data Browse and Query Builder and will be saved to your project file.

Slide 6
---
Current: Draw foreign key lines pointing to column (two lines may share the same line).
Better: Draw lines between foreign key columns. Lines may overlap.

Current: The lines requires space between tables.
Fixed: Lines require space between tables.

Slide 7
---
Current: An efficient data explorer over multiple tables bind by foreign keys or virtual foreign keys.
Fixed: Efficiently explore data from multiple tables that are bound by foreign keys or virtual foreign keys.

Current: Show data from further tables by clicking the arrow icon.
Better: Show data from related tables by clicking the arrow icon.

Current: There is no limit for the number of the open tables.
Better: There is no limit to the number of open tables.

Slide 8
---
Current: The editor will be saved to project file and can be later reopen.
Fixed: The editor will be saved to your project file and can later be reopened.

Slide 9
---
Note: Is the title correct? Slide 11 has the same title, and the contents here don't seem to match the title.

Current: DbSchema is loading the schema structure in its own project, separate from the database, which will be saved to file.
Better: Every schema structure is saved as a project to a file, separate from the database.

Current: This makes possible to design the schema without database and deploy it later on multiple databases.
Fixed: This makes it possible to design a schema without a database connection, which can be deployed later on multiple databases.

Current: The XML project file can be shared in a team via GIT.
Better: The XML project file can be shared with a team using source control.

Slide 12
---
Current: Join further tables to the query (via foreign keys or virtual foreign keys) by clicking the ... icons.
Better: Join related tables to the query (via foreign keys or virtual foreign keys) by clicking the ... icons.

Slide 14:
---
Current: Good documentation is crucial for the database design.
Better: Documentation is crucial for good database design and maintenance.

Current: The HTML5 documentation use interactive vector images and generates small size files.
Fixed: DbSchema documentation uses HTML5 interactive vector images and generates small file sizes.

Current: The table or column comments can be read as mouse-over tooltips.
Better: Table and column comments can be read as mouse-over tooltips.

Slide 15
---
Current: The Data Loader can upload CSV, Excel or XML files into the database.
Better: The Data Loader can import CSV, Excel or XML files into the database.

Slide 16
---
Note: The link does not work when I click on it. Maybe newer versions of Java don't allow this, or there is something unique to my machine preventing it from working. If it's unreliable you might remove it completely.

Current: A dedicated tutorial is presenting it.
Fixed: A detailed tutorial is available.

Slide 17
---
Note: The link does not work when I click on it. Maybe newer versions of Java don't allow this, or there is something unique to my machine preventing it from working. If it's unreliable you might remove it completely.

Terry Gatton

Re: Quick Tour Grammar

Post by Terry Gatton » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:27 am

great! :)